Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The return of the Kemushi // 毛虫

Do you remember the alien in our garden? (Alien picture!)

Well, it turns out that this little dude and all his compadres are actually part of the 'kemushi' family.

Kemushi defines the caterpillars with spikes/hairs and are usually poisonous. (Eek!)  Imomushi (potato caterpiller!) means just your regular caterpillar.

imomushi
Well, today I came across the bright green dude again....and a few more.

I carefully got closer for some pictures, and heeded the children's warnings - 'Don't touch!'

I didn't touch him. I just took a few shots.


kemushi
I got back to school and started itching. Perhaps one of last mosquitoes had bitten me? I showed my co worker and she instantly retracted. I had two dots from the 'bite'.

Apparently, these caterpillars are lethal! I mentioned that another co worker's husband had a rash etc from the black and white kemushi. Well, apparently, this one is just as bad and even standing near the caterpillar when the wind is blowing means you can get 'spiked'.

Wow, now that is some crazy talk.

I didn't take a picture, but around the tree was a whole heap of poop from the caterpillars. There were a few on the ground, dead and alive but so many in the tree.

Needless to say, we will not go to that park tomorrow¬! Autumn winds prevail!

Btw - I washed my wrist, after just a bit of scratching. So far, I am ok! Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment