Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shopping, Shipping & Acupuncture

Another day by the sea in England.....
We woke up to a grizzly day, the clouds were heavy and grey above us and it was really rather cold when we stepped out of the door! Oh my, and this is the 'height' of summer? No thanks!

Still...we had to figure out the final touches for our outfits for our special day on Saturday. Shopping is always great fun, at least it was when I was young. Now, as much as I love having the new things, I can't always be bothered with the process of going out and dealing with the crowds.

You'd think that living in Tokyo that I would be used to crowds, but there is something different here in Brighton with the groups of people out on the streets. The discerning tourist, the loud mothers with their tearaway kids, the happy couples window shopping at a pace that is bound to trip any passer by up....

I find my self moaning quite a lot in England. Was this the way things were before? Have I crossed the line and there is no return? Did I once belong here? Really? Will I ever again?

We had wanted to buy a house in the countryside here in the south east but even on our first night revisiting this seaside town, we knew that Brighton and its surroundings was not for us. We took the last train from London and arrived at around midnight to Brighton, where people where dawdling in the streets shouting, drinking, smoking, generally, acting annoying.
And it wasn't just one area, it spread everywhere. But because it was the pride weekend, we let it rest....but days later, things haven't changed.

Even by day, this place is hard work and a few hours shopping drained us of the energy we had.

Still, we bought even more shoes (one of the perks of this country - the shoes can fit!) and sorted out our outfits.

Then I had an acupuncture appointment, my first time ever! I had no idea what was in store, but I knew it would be needles in my body, so I arrived already slightly freaked out.
There was a consultation first of all and we agreed that I had bad circulation. Lucky me, but that it was gathering in my left side, at the shoulders and now at the base of my spine.
I lay down and even though I was in my underwear, I had to undo my bra so the back was fully exposed. Without explanation, the needles began. To be honest, as in most cases when you enter the unknown, you fear the worst, I did today. But, with each small prick of the apparently not so small needle, I breathed calmly. There must have been almost 20 attached to various parts of my back and even my legs. Then the doctor (is that what you call them?) placed some sort of machine over my back with a timer ticking away manicly and left the room.
I had no idea what to expect, and hoped that he wouldn't be gone for long, for I panicked far too easily. I lay there , trying to understand what was happening on my back , not that I could see, but I did try. I saw a big plastic thing, that I guess was attached to one of the needles and I could see the machine hovering. It was all rather surreal and, as the pins in my back started to heat up, I sneaked a peak the other side. I could only see a flat ish white plastic disc. To be honest, had I seen anything else, I would have freaked out. Seeing things attached to your body that shouldn't be there....weird.

It wasn't too long before he returned and pulled them all out pretty painlessly. Then he massaged me.
At first, I thought that his small hands were never going to ease the horrid tension I suffered. He placed both of them at the top of the shoulders and gently squeezed them. Then, when he moved down the left side, we could both feel the tension, blocked toxins, he said. It didn't feel good. But his hands were able to push the tension slowly, surprisingly away.

And then, according to my ears, there was a flame burning, from a lighter or..? What was it? Then, heavy weights were put on my back., they felt cold and tight to the skin. I had no idea what it was, but when he said 'capping', I understood it to be ''cupping''. Madonna, Gweneth Paltrow had been associated with it, I suddenly felt special. And for five minutes, I stayed that way, just lying waiting.
Ian arrived asking for me. I was lucky he came to meet me. I still had another 5 or so minutes, but when I did finally rise, I was a sleepy wreck, more tired than I had realised.

I had, in the end, enjoyed the experience. When we talked about it after, they recommended some treatment for me. Some liquid vials of ginseng and some pills (dosage of 5o!!! per day!!) or more ginseng. Their hard sell was pretty shocking, considering the fact that the treatment was costing 40 pounds...then pills and the vit drink would have set us back 20 pounds! I am sure that my ciculation wasn't that bad!! And they had the nerve to tell us that it was OK to do acupuncture everyday!! That in china they did it every day but in UK most people did it weekly. In other words, they knew I was in Brighton for a few days adn they wanted their money...at the expense of my bruised back....not thank you.

So, even when things were about to seem to be on the up, they shot straight back down. Where the customer service supposedly improved, the selfish money making intention shone forth.
What a shame.
England.....oh England....

No comments:

Post a Comment