Monday, December 26, 2011

An English Christmas

In the final run up to the 'big' day, try and eavesdrop a conversation or two. If you are listening to the host, I can guarantee you will hear something along the lines of this :

"Well, we have 8 bottles of red, 8 bottles of white, Courvoisier, brandy, oh, 4 bottles of champagne, Bacardi, rum, vodka, etc etc..."

Actually, the list can and will go on and on. I heard one guy in the pub and I had forgotten how we, the English are when it comes to our christmas days, boxing days and the rest. It's a big booze bonanza and you have to be in it to win it.

Actually, I secretly scorned this gentleman; maybe he did have a big family after all, or a lot of house guests, but, he did have a big list of alcohol. I though it strange, annoying and funny all at the same time that he chose to list, at a loud volume, all the alcoholic beverages in his house. And then, in true irony, I sit here sans vin, for we have drunk and over drunk our own collection of booze (which was very modest anyway and not boast worthy, at least in comparison.)

It just makes me realise that we Brits love our booze and how Christmas isn't Christmas without it. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed an extra dose of green tea these past few days, for which I am grateful. Merry christmas.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:UK

No comments:

Post a Comment