Monday, April 23, 2012

A taste of Indonesia

I was lucky enough to get an invite to a lovely Indonesian lady's house. She studies at the same Japanese class as me and comes from Solo, Java island.

Dried eel - a delicacy from Java, along with seeds from  a 'big tree'.

She made lovely mie goreng and then offered up this odd looking eel. Now, I don't mind a bit of Unagidon, but this was too lifelike for me. Apparently, you had to break off the head and crunch away.

I wasn't brave enough to try, perhaps still scarred from my dried cockroach experience!

The light brown things are seeds, but I couldn't gather which tree and I also couldn't get over the fact that they looked like the skull of the eels!!! They were the same size, but thankfully, they were definitely not...They were sweet, crunchy, but not skulls!

We washed it all down with some delectable ginger tea and I was fortunate enough to get a souvenir to take home! Looking forward to a cuppa!!

What fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment