Sunday, June 5, 2011

Death in the road

So, along the walks with the dogs, I have already written about the creatures that we see. There have been ducks, turtles, cranes and they have all made me smile.

But, there is another, darker side to this beautiful countryside we love so much. Survival is something we all must do. Failure, means one thing. Death. Sudden, dramatic, however it may happen, it is going to end.

Remember I mentioned a turtle crossing our path? How I wish we had rescued him and put him back in the water. Ian saw a crushed turtle, shell and everything, on the side of the road just the other day. It is hard to say it was the same one, although, he did think it had the same dark shell (the turtles here are mostly terrapins with the stripes, so a darker one would be remembered).


He had also spoken to me of dead shrimps in his path. I didn't believe him. Surely the lake wasn't so fertile that they were living there. Well, they do, or they were.

So, the fishermen really do have their pick of things in the lake, which is surprising to think about when you look at it, for it isn't that healthy at all.

And, lastly, for this post, I have to just describe what Susie and I came across.

I could see on the path ahead a couple of crows on the road. Really, I knew they could only be doing one thing, but I prayed that there was no creature involved. But, of course, crows are crows and they were eating at a poor, poor pigeon. The pigeons here are clean and cute unlike those I am used to back home.

The crows flew away as I approached, so after a car passed, I was able to try and move it to the side of the road. Unfortunately, Susie wanted a sniff too, and even though I pulled her away, she still found some feathers and looked at me as if to say 'what?'.

I moved the carrion but I had clearly disturbed the peace. The crows were all up in arms as I walked on and by the racket they were making, they were not happy. I was scared they would swoop down to peck at me (they are horrible creatures and totally would), so Susie and I ran as fast as we could home.

Nature isn't always so nice, is it?

Happy Monday!!


No comments:

Post a Comment