Saturday, June 18, 2011

our garden

I am (re)discovering my green fingers and my love for the flowers and plants outdoors. Our garden is great fun and I love being out there with hubby and the dogs. Here is a regular visitor to the garden!
Hello!

Now, last week, I saw a caterpillar amongst the small fruit trees we have. I thought nothing of it and simply cut the leaf away. Of course, this being Japan, that was no ordinary caterpillar.

My co worker happened to tell me about the kemushi (毛虫) just by chance the very next day after my encounter with the beast. I was standing under a tsubaki tree and she told me to be careful. They can land on you and then get you with their spikes. Her husband was 'attacked' the week before and had to go to hospital to get medication for rashes all over his body. And you can't just wash out the spikes. In fact, they can spread to other items of clothing too. Be careful.

The beast himself, before I knew how nasty he was.
Apparently, they come out in May & June and again in October & November. Great.
It is very easy to forget about the beautiful butterfly when you know of this monster's capabilities.


He has attacked the pear tree the most, but the cherries we had have just fallen to the ground because they made a feast for some annoying little beast.

So, now, Saturday, I am chopping all the affected leaves off, as well as finding other areas where he has left his trail of spikes.

And, I am on the hunt for any information possible to get rid of him. My co worker said that we must contact the ward office and they will send the exterminator around. This sounds extreme, but I shall soon find out if it is indeed the case. Right, back to the garden!!

Beautiful cherries in the making. One week later they are gone.
A rather colourful little spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment