Wednesday, August 17, 2011

London riots - The aftermath

I haven't really ranted here about the events of last week so much, but I feel I should, just a little bit.

I have never really been political per se. Right and left meant nothing much. Even a knife and fork can change hands, and so do the plans and manifestos of the governments.

I have never really believed that one person could be so strongly swayed in just the one direction and I still believe this.

So, if you ask me whether or not I am a full blown conservative, don't expect a direct response.

I hate it when people so stubbornly claim to be on one side (whichever that may be, people are always stubborn, but they usually choose the side they believe to be the right one!) and, as a result, come out with some harsh criticisms of the other.

In the UK right now, people are blaming the government. What government, we don't know. Certainly the rioters don't know...

Listen here for a horrendous example of who is involved and the mind set.


They talk about the fun of it. Sure, drinking at 9am can be wild. Hopefully they will have a hangover to teach them something to that effect

But, they talk about 'showing the police that they can do what they want.' It's a kind of freedom, then, I can only assume, proof that they, the rioters are in control.

But, who are the rioters exactly?

We have had reports of an Olympic hopeful, supposedly representing UK next year (remember we are supposed to be hosting the Olympics next year too), I read about a 12 year old, (whose mother blames the government for creating enough things to do for her child), there was a doctor's daughter, a millionaire's daughter too. How are they disgruntled?

There wasn't just the 'yoof' with nothing to do but go on a crazy spree, there were men in their 40's too.

I have been told that they are just 'angry' people. Angry about what I wonder? Job cuts, unemployment, dim prospects....

I am not going to be anywhere near the top of the line in advertising my home country, nor city as a place of paradise. but, it isn't all that depressing is it?

Ok, so there are no 'youth centres' for the kids to hang out and occupy themselves when they aren't at school.  Let me just point out, that I was on my way home from a youth centre when I was mugged at knife point in south London. I was 11, my attackers, 16. Youth centres are not the answer.

I haven't lived in England for almost 6 years, so, yes, I am out of the loop. However, I knew that I had to study to make it (what/wherever 'it' was - still learning). I knew that there was a difference between right and wrong. Surely this is a basic instinct?

But riots, revolutions, passionate protests aren't always about basic instincts. They aren't even about getting results, but no one is going to stop to think about it, are they?

One brave lady even tried to tell the rioters this as they ran amok on the streets of Hackney. You may have already seen it (it made it to various news sources).



And she is so right in her words.

What results did the rioters want last week? New trainers & a six month jail term?

Yes, the law is coming down so super hard on this rioters. Some say too hard (labour /liberal supporters) and some say not hard enough (conservative supporters).

I say they deserve the penance for sure. You commit a crime, you do the time. It is simple logic and nothing left or right, well just right.

There is talk of taking away their benefits (super conservative). It is true, some people are living on ridiculous benefits.

This is nothing to do with rioters, but a family from Somalia are living in rented accommodation. They have just moved form the north to Camden council area, and are in a house where the rent is £8,000 ((!!!)) a week. Camden council are picking up this bill. The saddest thing here is that that money could house so many families from Somalia. It isn't a question about immigration, but about balance and fairness.

Now, those who say that the conservatives have caused all this damage, we must remember that we had labour before for 13 years. Those who do remember, are pointing out that both governments are Thatcher's doing.

Now, I was a lot younger, and I don't remember her policies so much. But, I do remember there was no bullshit. I also know that it was the current conservative government who actually lowered the maximum housing rental allowance to the unemployed to £400!!! That is quite the sum and you can get a neat pad for that in zone 3/4.

We need balance.

I agree with some of the jail terms, although I wonder what purpose it will serve later down the line. Will anyone learn?

I agree with the Liberal Democrat suggestion of getting people to do community service as punishment. Doing time and helping the communities (they have damaged) will teach them so much. It can teach anyone a lot, criminal or otherwise.

So where is the balance between the apparent conservative's headline grabbing sentences (I can't say I agree with four years imprisonment for inciting a riot on facebook, when some murderers get let of with less than this) and those who believe it would be more important 'talking to the rioters'???

We have a big rift going on amongst the UK coalition government.

One of the things we need to be prepared for is that that this may happen again. It may not be in such a  scale, but there will always be rebellion, especially in the UK. What we need to do is find out why it happens / has happened (during their community service/jail time, of course) and be prepared.

It is pointless fighting crime with few cell spaces or adequate laws in place.

Good luck England! You're going to need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment