Friday, May 6, 2011

So, I was late to work this morning because...


1. There was a frog in my recycling...

2. I had to talk with the neighbours

3. I had to sort out some starving dogs......

Last night, after going to bed and closing the eyes, the iPad beeped, and these days, it is not something I can ignore.

I got a tweet forwarded to me from one of the JEARS team in America! Two dogs, one starving, found outside an apartment in Sendai, not far from the JEARS apartment, in fact!

Here is the picture...http://p.twipple.jp/yRgRG

In fact, it was a forwarded forward of a tweet, such is the love and care of some people.

Anyway, into the night, fighting off the sleep, I had to pass on messages to people nearby. Who could go? What was the situation? And, most importantly, how can I sleep until this is resolved?

When I showed the picture to Ian, I think he was shocked too. They were outside an apartment. Had someone just run off and left them there??

I think I went to sleep at 1am. We (JEARS peeps ) were up messaging each other for ages, and tweeting here and there to get a precise location from the actual tweeter...

Up for (Ian's) work at 5am and back online.

Kinship could go perhaps a little later in the day. It took a good few messages to get this information, not to mention the facebook updates...

Then Lexi managed to phone me (I couldn't call her american mobile phone for some reason). She hadn't realised the tweet picture she had seen last night from another volunteer's mail in the apartment ( I had sent to Kate) was the same report as the messages I was sending her.

'We will go right away' She stated. Thank god!

This is a fine example of team work, people rallying round to support one another, wherever they may be!

The dogs are now fine and have seen the vet (Sasaki Sensei from the other day).
One is dehydrated beyond belief and not eating so much and the other is eating fine and actually seems fine.

Their story? They are, along with owner (at least there is one?) evacuees from Minami Soma, but , as you can imagine, relocation after earthquakes, a tsunami and radiation , is a lot to handle. The owner was sad to realise she had been doing a bad job at keeping her dogs healthy.

One thing I shall ask here is that we refrain from judgement. We can all so easily say 'Oh, but I would have one this' etc, but I must reiterate the circumstances and the sheer pressure on people, not to mention the false advice given from the government. At least this owner is with her dogs, and we now have many friends of mine, of JEARS, who will look in on her to make sure they are ALL ok!

As for the frog, well, that is just part of the countryside life! All the rice fields are full of water, welcoming endless beauties, along with their heavy 'song'.


1 comment:

  1. The most important thing is that the dogs got medical attention. I can't imagine the obstacles that are faced by people over there right now. You are all doing the best you can.

    ReplyDelete