Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Today isn't a public holiday


So, I had a plan for the morning and I had help from Susan M's husband ( Heart, Tokushima) who was calling up the Aigo centre on my behalf. They were ready for my visit. It was not officially a public holiday today, so it was a good day for action

Apparently, we had already visited this centre, but it doesn't hurt to go and explain and to give more leaflets etc. With the new base in Sendai, it was important for these people to know that there was more help nearby. Face to face makes such a difference and now that we have a base just down the road, it is important that they know that, any animals in need can come to us.

The centre was nice, there were dogs outside, almost 40 we were told. They also have ponies and a goat as is is used as an educational trip for school kids. I do think goats are the best and cannot wait to have a farm with a few!

The dogs there had mostly come from Ishinomaki, and apparently had owners. We sat with the man in charge (Takamura San?) and talked a lot about rescue operations in general and what would happen to these animals. The aigo centre is a no kill centre, but the animals are often handed to the Hokenjos and this is where the animals are given one week to live and gassed if noone comes to collect them.


It is very important we establish good ties to all these places so that they know we are there. It has to be said, though, that intervention is hard. People follow the rules so closely that it makes our work even more difficult.

So, after a long chat and even some green tea, Fumiko and I headed off. I was lucky to have her offer to drive me for without a car in Sendai, it is not easy to get around, especially at this time.

When Fumiko heard that I needed to be in Shichigahama next, she offered, once again to take me there, one way only this time because she had to work. Work was apparently 'on the way' although, I realised that it wasn't and I also made her late. But, such was her generosity, it was 'daijyobu' (alright).

We drove for a while and even got lost towards Tagajo town. As per usual on these road trips, the destruction we witnessed was insane. Left and right, houses were left bare, trucks crumpled and belongings scattered everywhere.

We eventually found the right coastal area, I recognised the gas station from the day before. As we drove up a little in the direction of Fumiko San's house, I noticed a dog chained up to a really badly damaged house.
He looked very hungry indeed, and the house was not habitable at all. There was the 'unsafe' sign too.

I got some snacks for the hungry dog who had no water in his bowl either an then, just to the side of the house, I saw a lady doing her laundry, I think.

I was amazed that someone would be here.

She explained to us that she took care of the dog and she eventually told us that this was her house.

Now, to give you some idea, the downstairs had been torn through by the tsunami, the windows were smashed, the walls cracked, yet she happily stated that they were living and sleeping upstairs.

To paint the picture further, In front of her house remains the space for the three houses that stood between hers and the coastline. Needless to say, they are there no more.


I persisted with questions, 'what can I do to help you now?' ' can I clean?' 'can I give more dog food?', All my questions had good intentions but felt so weak. She laughed them all off insisting that she was ZEN ZEN DAIJYOBU!, FINE!!!! She made ME to appear the one in need!

She was a lovely lady. I had a big bag of dog food to share with this neighbourhood, so I was very happy to offer her some. She was clutching to the bag tight in this picture.


Namiko San, the lovely obachan, hopped in the car to guide us up to Fumiko's house. My directions were shot and she was of way better strength, I was still holding back tears, while she wore a great big smile!


Yumi came to collect us, we dropped the lovely Namiko San off and went back to Yougai.
The team were cleaning out the hut and the warehouse today. I joined in for a while. The pomeranian would be coming to Fumiko's house at 3pm, and then we would all head to the vet together. I have been put in touch with Sasaki Sensei. He has been helping out a lot with animals all over the affected areas. We would meet him later.

The hut that you can see in the top right corner had been completely displaced by the water and everything inside the hut and the outhouse had been soaked and ruined. We were helping to remove item, dry and dispose of if needed.

At around 3pm, we headed back up to Fumiko's house.
There to meet us along with Fumiko was the dog and the family, mum and two daughters. We discussed the situation wit the dog in more details. I had been emailing and talking with Sasaki Sensei and he had given me some particular questions to ask. The Dog, Marron chan, was barely eating and since the quake had been sick a lot. We had to take him to see Sasaki Sensei, all the way in South Sendai.

This would have been an easy trip had it not been for the traffic and the mistake in the address!!
I slipped up a digit and got us lost just around the corner from where we needed to be. We were almost running to another vet, such was the need to see one, but that would have been bad.
I backtracked and found on my phone a mobile number. we were in!


He was a great vet, saw to Marron chan and gave him some meds and snacks, and spoke with us for a while about his work. He has a folder in his clinic with all the media related articles that exist re. his work in the earthquake relief. Amongst them are some letters of thanks too from international vet organisations. We were very honoured to be working with him. He accepted our JEARS leaflets and added them to the collection.



So, today was all about establishing contacts and joining forces. People helping each other, whether direct or indirect. Without each other's support, things are more complicated. Let's keep helping each other.





Location:Sendai & Shichigahama, Miyagi

No comments:

Post a Comment