Saturday, May 14, 2011

Typhoon

Kasukabe has so many frogs that it is something rather special taking Elbi for his evening walk. You literally have to side step them all as they hop from lake to rice field.

It has been a soggy, damp week. It hasn't helped the mood. It is important to recover and re-align from all the activities of late, but not easy when the weather also knocks it out of you.

Last Sunday, there was a rally for the animals in Fukushima, to make the government aware of what they had (not) done. Over 600 people attended in full force. One JEARS member, Katrina, was interviewed there -


And, it appears, some of the petitions worked and this week, some residents were allowed into their homes. But, a quick hour was all they had to collect as many possession they would need for a length of time they would not know.

Here is a story I found. It was a very real explanation of what it was like and it makes it all too real how horrible life still is, 2 months on, for so many people.


So, while some residents are cramming possessions, urgent medication and clothes into their small plastic bags, I heard that there is a possibility of the zone being extended. Apparently, there is more leakage of radioactive waste into the water and there was mention of a potential meltdown of number 1 reactor if they try and flood it.

The news is so exhausting each day. I am assured by the fact that there are so many amazing people out there doing their bit to help and make things better. They give me the strength I need too.

I am making more plans to return to the north, but this takes time and money. I will probably go in a few weeks time. In the meantime, there is still plenty to be done from my little white desk. I am also trying to get the local stores to put up a little flyer saying that people can send donations directly to Sendai or, they can call me and I will collect from them locally.

Can you believe one store actually refused me? They are a supermarket in a shopping centre, so they said I should speak with the centre's security first. What I didn't get was that they had a notice board right there. all I needed was a pin!

So much for me thinking that the mentality for volunteering and helping had changed. Well, it was just one lady, and she shall not deter me in my efforts.

On a similar note. I had a meeting this week (tired Monday after work and in Tokyo - Ugh) for Kalaweit (Gibbon rescue, Indonesia). I was trying to petition for Kalaweit, the Japan branch as it were, (https://www.facebook.com/KalaweitInJapan) to get a stall at this year's Fuji Rock festival. Basically, they have an NPO village and having a stand there would be perfect for promotion for Kalaweit in this country. Again, I wanted to share with people about the rainforests of Indonesia and the possibility of volunteering in Borneo.

After much faffing about and last minute requests for translations that they could have asked for months ago when I applied, I managed to complete every single thing they asked for, despite their demands. but, did we get through? NO!

I was told it was because there were too many applicants.Mmm. It is a shame though, because the people at the festival would be the type to want to go learn about the rainforests and the gibbons....

On the same note, it makes me want to return to see the animals of the forest. It is a life I love! We watched 'Gorillas in the mist' today, and as sad as it is at the end, there is nothing that quite beats the magic of these awesome creatures, all of them.

In the meantime, I am still updating my Indo blog from my last visit... http://leonoraonthemove.blogspot.com/

There has been quite a bit of soul deflating news this week and general depressing media stories, especially in Europe. Tonight, I just read about a poor woman getting beheaded in a supermarket in Tenerife?!?!?! What kind of world do we live in???

So, when things get you down, you have to remember that there is so much good still in the world.

Here is a story of yet another rescue from Fukushima. God bless these little creatures and all the people working to save them.



No comments:

Post a Comment