Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day five....

Since Friday, my head has been a twisted mess. I had so many plans to do so much over the past few weeks, but with the move, it was this week and the next few that were crucial to my own progress in the writing world. For the first time, I was going to have the time to focus on organising the many ideas etc that I have.

You would think that, with all this 'free' time, I would have achieved so much, but, no. My mind has been blocked.

For the first two days, I was stunned, shocked beyond belief. I knew earthquakes could happen, but the tsunami and it's devastation had caused damage beyond belief. With so many people missing at this time, it was hard to know what to think.

Sendai is my Japanese home town and I love it. The beauty in the north is astounding and the area is very famous for one of Japan's top three sights, Matsushima Bay. The people in Sendai are wonderful, and I was shown a wonderful, memorable time and made many, many friends.

Thankfully,at this time, most of the people we know are all well, if stranded and cold. We are still waiting for a couple more. Today I called one person we know and her phone went to voicemail, which is a good sign. I called another friend of a friend and the phone couldn't connect. I cried. Thankfully my friend was positive, and it is true, lots of power is still down. We have hope.

After pulling myself away from the computer on Sunday, we decided to enjoy life for what it was. The people around us are inspirational. The people of Japan are being praised and admired for their resilience and it is truly powerful. Going out and about talking to people, seeing people getting back into the swing of things made me (us) feel so much better.

This has been a dreadful atrocity yet, we need to pull through this. One of my friends in Sendai stated quite frankly that 'we will get through this' and she is right. Her attitude is admirable and she is not alone in this thinking.

Then, bless her cotton socks, her first thing was to apologise for probably not being able to come to Tokyo for our wedding celebration!!! She told me how the ceiling in Sendai station had collapsed. Of course, there is no wedding. We can't. How could we?

One thing that is weird is that her boss has given her until Thursday to get back to work.....that is this Thursday 17th, less than a week after the biggest earthquake ever to hit Japan. Maybe a bit too much resilience, right?!

Taking a leaf out of this book, we are going to get back on it tomorrow. So long as the radiation levels are good and we don't have to leave, then we are getting back on it. We couldn't finish unpacking for fear of another earthquake and the same with all the work we have to do.

Well, no more excuses. We are so lucky to be alive and we are here to make music, to write and, hopefully very soon, to help our friends in the north. So, please don't mistake my rants above for complaining. I am just tying to show how much this can absorb you. It is easy to get too into it, but it is also difficult to balance the news inputs and move away from the screen.

We all just pray for a swift resolution to it all, but with a magnitude 6 earthquake in Shizuoka earlier (felt by most of Honshu), it is hard to know what is the best thing to do next.

Tonight, we are watching Friends, really easy television to lighten the mood and it's working.

More tomorrow, guys. Love xxx




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



Location:Kasukabe,Japan

1 comment:

  1. Lee,
    I applaud your resilience. You are indeed made of sterner stuff. You showed us all this by emigrating.
    Keep on keeping on, we've got your back.
    Love always.
    -Bo0gie-

    ReplyDelete