Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday, March 14th (White Day)

I woke up today with a feeling of resilience. We had a power cut due from 0920 until 1300. A day time power outage didn't really pose a problem. The weather was sunny, plus, we knew we had to get this visit to the immigration office out of the way. It was starting to hang over us and make me dread returning to the spot where I saw the whole street shake.

Today was going to be a good day. A walk with Elbi, a quick bike ride up to the station to take the train into town.....

That was not an option. There were no trains at all from Kasukabe. As it was, even Tokyo was running but a few trains to transport its regular number of commuters across the place.

The atmosphere was very different out. It was good to be out, not just by the serene lake where we live, but out and about on the streets too.

The convenience store was still quite well stocked and there wasn't a sense of urgency with people's purchases. Ladies stopped to chat in the street, police greeted us with a smile. It was still pleasant in Kasukabe.



It was worth noting the amount of bicycles outside the drugstore and, despite the immnent power cut, the people
still stood outside.

I am not quite sure what they were thinking to get...? Or how to get it?





We decided to bike it in to town - over 20km to Kita Yono, where the immigration office is, a hefty bike ride, but completely necessary.

The main thing to be noticed en route, were the roofs of many houses. It was especially the older houses that had lost tiles in earthquake on Friday.

It is a depressing and odd sight, but those affected really took it in their strides.

I spoke with our neighbour, who, despite losing half a warehouse of ceramics (his livelihood) was very happy to be alive and at least able to fix his roof.

(The bottom middle picture was the house I witnessed on Friday, opposite the immigration office.)


One scary thing we saw along the way was this parking sign -

You would want to be standing there with that falling on your head.

The cyclist on the right, was a very sweet lady, who found it rather bizarre and funny that we were heading towards Omiya. She even told a passer-by and they both wish us well on our way. The atmosphere is still very positive and upbeat. I am pleased.

Having seen so many gaijins at the immigration office getting their re entry visas so that they can quit Japan made me really sad for little Nihon. I feel we should really be here for our lovely country.

Maybe some of us have more ties here, or some feel more comfort back home. We are all different. I just do not feel like I want to go. We are well looked after here and Japan has given us so much. It is time for us to help back, somehow.

I go to bed with many mixed emotions today. I began so well and positive, and then I spoke to a highly hysterical and unreasonable mother. And then, I dived into the news reports, again.

But, I am more positive again. Everyone is working wonders and we will be fine. Supermoon, my behind, we can fight this!!


We love you nippon, now and always XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment