Monday, March 28, 2011

Nothing to report!! Well...

On the Hawgood side of things, we are fine! We have learnt a lot from all this and the importance of being prepared. This is generally something that is taught to the Japanese from an early age, now we know why.

Dried foods and even most drinks are scarce in the shops, most certainly the cheap ones! However, we have still had our chance to stock up on oolong teas, green teas and what water we can (which hasn't been any for a few days). Isn't it ridiculous? What a time we live in for stocks to be hoarded (preparation and stocking up is very different from hoarding).

We wonder whether the fear of drinking tap water will actually subside. Japan is a nation of followers and what one does, the other will do too. This isn't always a bad thing, for example, you can tell a new or a good restaurant from the line outside, and you should be inclined to join it too.
But, the water shortages are just plain silly. I just hope enough reaches the north.

The rescue organisations are so thorough that I believe they will be OK. They just need to reach in time.

There is an amazing number of people reaching out to help everyone suffering from all this, so much so, that people have been asked to stop. Supplies are short in the north, so the best of the work really should be left to the professionals. even down south, things are super organised.

I went back to the immigration office (3rd time since 11th! just one more visit left!), which is right by the Saitama super arena. The arena has become a temporary home to thousands of people from Fukushima (nuclear evacuees, as they are known).

I had some kids things to donate, so thought I would drop them off. (I admit that a friend had said they were not taking any more donations, but didn't believe they would say no, not for the kids).

When I arrived, I had to walk the whole way around the arena to get to the uketsuke (reception area). Turning the corner, I was greeted by a heap of army personnel,and then, upstairs, a hoard of people ranging from volunteers, news reporters, starbucks workers offering free coffee, tourists having a look (that's what it seemed like, I hope they were actually doing something useful).

When I found the right person to speak to, she went of to check with someone whether they could take my things, but she came back all apologetic and refused them.

I was astounded, but I can understand how an individual donation messes up the organisation of it all. Charities all over the country are separating things themselves and sending them up to centres and this really is the best way to do it, I just thought, as I was passing...

Still, it was interesting to see it first hand. It makes you realise the work involved in all this. We just hear about it all on the news, but these are real people (hundreds of thousands displaced, living in thousands of shelters). Even though I didn't see inside, I could see up to the top and the windows were full of boxes and boxes. Poor people.

I heard that they will only stay in the arena until Wednesday or Thursday, basically the end of the month. And, I also heard that, all the diapers, sanitary towels etc, will not get used up by then (!), that is the extent of the donations.

The biggest worry is the north. Second harvest were one of the first charities on the case. They were delivering things to the north pretty much straight away, so we coudl send them things. But, I have since been given an address in Iwate. It is a residential address, and the guy is taking the things you send direct to the evacuation shelter. This is much better as you know you can help more directly than anything.

They need warm clothes, sleeping bags and anything, really. So if you are reading this in Japan, message me and I will give the address to you.

I takkyubin-ed a box up today. I'm not sure if the JP service is working, but I guess takkyubin is the better option given the size and weight of things.

Now, on another note. I think I have to post something I found on this site this morning:-

Remember my rage at the Keely Fujiyama article? WELL...
I found a comment this morning, which I have since deleted, not wanting any bad vibes.

But, I am going to post it here, because I don't have anything to hide. I resent the fact that someone thinks I am 'judging' her and that I don't know what it's like.Grrr. This is point, I DO KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE!! As do my friends in and out of Tokyo (even in Sendai, who are complaining far less than most!!!!) I am just using this blog to tell it the way it is.

Whoever wrote this to me (err, three guess who you think it might be..), clearly hasn't read anything else I have written, does not know me, nor my lifestyle, nor my connection to Sendai, and Japan itself.

Besides, I will add comments from other friends in Tokyo who agree what B.S. she is saying....

Here is the comment -

Hi Leonora Sophie, I am concerned by the level of disregard and disrespect you show to Keely re: the Sun story. Surely you have every right to judge anything any tabloid does. But her story is completely consistent with everything my friends in Tokyo report: radiation in water, food, and air. Shops basically empty. People generally very frightened. Women afraid to give their babies water. On-going aftershocks ranging from 3.0 to 7.0. This is verifiable. There are websites that show all the aftershocks and they haven't stopped, for even one day, as you well know if you're in Tokyo. How else should people be feeling, honestly, other than very frightened and desperate to get out? And have you considered that she might have had some very good reasons to get her story out? It appears your compassion ends when someone's story doesn't match up with your own. That's sad to me. Before you judge someone else so harshly, you might wish to put yourself in their shoes. And if you don't know what her life is like, please withhold judgment until you do.

And here are some genuine opinions from some real Tokyoites...

a) "Shops basically empty"? Oh please? Radiation in the air is less than ambient radiation in other cities!

b) What a crock of shit...actually love, we live in a much more remote part of Japan...if she read the blog at all she would have seen where we are. All bullshit, judgement? Oh please

c) I tried to post a comment under the article on the Sun, but it won't appear until after the 'moderator' has checked it... probably won't appear because I attacked the Sun pretty badly.

d) Interestingly she is getting very little sympathy from the Sun readers

e) This kind of misninformation has made even my brightest friends believe that the nuclear issue is more important than 500,000 homeless people... thanks Media!

f) Keely Fujiyama, you are a DISGRACE! You have made me feel ashamed to be British. Lies lies lies! Starving!?! Go shopping! http://ow.ly/4gbDC

In short, Keely's stupid story diverts the media from what is really happening, creates an unnecessary worry for our friends and family abroad worried about what they are hearing from the likes of K.F. Thanks so much.

Oh, another friend sent this - http://www.goandroam.com/webcams/japan/tokyo/
Gives you a good idea of the 'apocalyptic' town we live in..Yeah, right.
And, final rant - 'Post -Tsunami Tokyo'????
How dare the journalist, K.F, whoever get their facts so wrong.

Going to sign off for now.

Getting back into the Japanese study (exam in 6 weeks or so, I guess I should study!) and finally getting on with all the writing projects.

Gambarou, minna!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment