Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Things I have learnt these past 3 weeks...

1) Palm trees are the symbol of Iwate.

After the tsunami, just one remained standing. All the others had been forced to the ground when the waters hit the shore. Perhaps, this can be looked at in a positive way. Let this be the sign of resilience and strength to carry on that everyone is talking about.


2) How to be ready for a big earthquake, and the importance of the kits, whether homemade or even Tokyu Hands' best.


The same could be said for a nuclear fallout. I now understand the importance of having a bunker in the house. Well, it would be fun to have one, right>?!
But, it does pay to be prepared, water, dry food and torches and batteries etc. That way, you don't get involved when it comes to the big rush or ration time. We do live and learn!



3) Radiation.

I knew it existed, but I never knew how to measure it (although I am still confused about the milli and micro and which one is bigger).

I now know the importance of a Sievert and how a geiger counter can improve your life at times like these!








Apparently on eBay, over 300 geiger counters were sold that one day we had checked! At around 250 pounds, they could be a sound investment!



4) Media Hype.

Wow, I now know what this phrase really means. We new the media exploited their facts sometimes, tabloids, at the best of times, but really, the lengths at which the British, the American and the Australian media sources went to get what they would deem a good story really disappointed me, not to mention, left me exhausted from having to relay the truth to people over and over, convincing them that things really were OK and we were not about to have a massive nuclear fallout #sigh#.

5) I now know where Hitachi is!
I mean, I knew it was Japanese, of course, but never paid attention to the location so much. I was equally as excited when I learnt where Kawasaki came from, as well as Toyota. They are just places, so maybe not so exciting to many, sorry.

6) Finally, from all of these experiences, I have learnt what Japan really means to me.
I have been here for 5 years, moved from city to country to big city to country. I have lived in studios big and small, but now, find my heaven in a house in the country, with my husband (who I met here too) and our little dog and hamster. Japan is where I have planted some solid roots and it is here I belong for now and for the foreseeable future. I really love it here, my home, my work, my life. The past few weeks have taught me this. And, although I knew it anyway, I didn't realise how strongly I felt. Japan will slowly but surely come back from all this, of that I am sure.

(((7) Oh, I also realised that a blog is a lot harder to maintain than I first thought! It was supposed to just be a memory of random things in daily life, now it is an addictive, unravelling saga of thoughts, rants and postulations. Never expected so many people to read it! It's awesome, thank you! Keep following please!! XXX )))

No comments:

Post a Comment